Tuesday, January 05, 2010

A Contrast Study in Old Men

Old Men Who Give Old a Bad Name

January 4: Waiting at the pharmacy for my prescriptions. I'm looking at the remedies on the shelves for cold sores, chapped cows udders - the salve for which I guess works great on human hands and lips, lice shampoos, etc. I hear an old man come in and start off complaining how his insurance won't cover his prescription. Right away, he blames "Bama" for it all. How he's spending all our money in other countries instead of here. How he's making a mess of health care. How we're all gonna die and it will be his fault. But it won't matter anyway because somebody's gonna shoot him soon enough. What a mess he's made of everything. I don't turn around, and instead examine ear drop solutions. If the old badger were to engage me, I'm not sure he'd like what I have to say to him. The only thing I could think to say would be: "With all you have to complain about, what are you doing to make the world a better place? What do you do that you get out of bed for every day where you think to yourself, 'This will help to make the world better for everybody.'? Because you bitchin' about it isn't doing anybody any good." Cocoa butter lotion. I could use some of that.

Old Men Who Give Old a Good Name


January 5: Waiting room to get my blood drawn. The only other person there is an old man. He smiles and says hello to me. I smile back, say good morning. He comments on the cold. Not as bad as it has been, I say. He says he's been in Kentucky. Tells me about the flea market he went to, "As big as from here to Euclid" he says. That's at least six blocks away. I tell him he had it good. Missed the worst of the weather. He laughs and tells me he's seen plenty in his day. I tell him I hope he sees plenty more. He laughs, and I laugh with him.

We have plenty of role models for our old age all around us. What kind of role model will you be? What kind of role model are you?

1 comment:

Liz said...

I totally get this, we have the same, the old men that give us all a hard time here, then we have the sweet old people that come and thank us for our service, what a nice place and so on.

But now you got me thinkin of what kind of role model I am. Looks like I better put that one on the New Year Resolution List...be a good role model.