Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I Need Nap Time

I have just had the first day of my new teaching job, and I'm friggin' exhausted. Is frigging in the dictionary yet?

I'm just wondering if I ever had enough energy to go through what I went through today and not come away feeling as though someone had vacumed my soul out, scrubbed it with a bristle brush and then slung it over my shoulder on the way out the door. I think I can say with some certainty (is that contradictory?) that I never had the energy for such full days of work. From 8am to nearly 7pm, being "on" the whole time, talking to colleagues, sitting in on workshops, eating in front of others (not a leisure task by any means - extra wipes of the mouth to be sure there's no mustard, sipping instead of gulping, etc.) - even bathroom breaks provided no "down" time, other than the actual act of sitting.

No, I can distinctly remember, even in college, having been a napper. I love to nap. Not only that, I think I NEED to nap. There have also been plenty of recent studies that show a correlation between workers getting nap time and increased productivity that makes up for the time "lost" for the nap. If increased productivity means making me less bitchy when I'm feeling wiped out, then I'm all for it, and no doubt so are my students.

I can lie down and sleep for exactly one hour, then get up and get on with my day. Sometimes, if I've not had a good night's sleep, I might nap two hours, but generally not more than that. When I've had long work days at school, I shut my office door, turn off the lights and nap sitting up in my chair. This is really only good for about a 15 minute nap, but it's enough. I've tried curling up on the floor, but it doesn't work for me.

I'm going to have to seriously consider taking in a nap mat of some sort. A yoga mat. Sure, that could seem innocent enough - "Oh, yes, I do yoga in my office sometimes..." Or should I just come out and say, "No, it's my nap mat." And really, who doesn't remember their kindergarten nap mat? Certainly that will find a soft spot - no pun intended - with anyone who would ask. For that matter, I think I may as well haul in a blanket and pillow. I mean, you never know when a freak storm might find me stranded on campus overnight... Does that sound plausible enough?

No comments: