Sunday, October 16, 2005

Simple Comforts

One of my most simple comforts is watching movies. Not just any movie, but rather a movie I've already seen, preferably more than once or twice or three or four times, for that matter. I don't knwow what it is, but I tend to enjoy watching movies over and over and over. But not just any movies. The ones I like to watch repeatedly tend to be sappy, silly, downright dumb movies. For example? Well, let's just start with Julia Roberts - Mystic Pizza, Pretty Woman - and another fav, even more than Julia, Sandra - The Net, Miss Congeniality - dumb, dumb shit like that - Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Bad News Bears, Shrek, Shrek II, Jaws, Moulin Rouge, Secretary, Brazil, A Fish Called Wanda - okay, so maybe not really dumb shit all the time, but at least movies I have seen once already. The reason for this is because I like to work with movies going on in the background. I don't really watch them the whole time they're on, but I like to look up once in a while and catch my favorite scenes. So, really, they're like background for me. But they do tend to have their moments as movies - those bits and pieces where I like to be drawn up in the fantasy of the movie and believe that it could all be real for a moment. More real than the papers I'm reading or the reviews I'm editing or the fact that the dog has to be let or or the cat box cleaned...if nothing for just than a moment.

2 comments:

Angela said...

The Princess Bride, A Knights Tale and Fight Club fit into that category for me. I've missed your blogging. Checked you blog every chance I got when I was in LA. Blog more oftern, Chick, I miss you random thoughts.

Ian said...

She's right - more than once a month please :)