Tuesday, January 17, 2006

No School This Morning

Dang! Who ordered the ice? But, I gotta say, niiiiiiice. No school. At least, not until 11:00. All the public schools in the area are closed, of course, but the college will open three hours late. Just enough for me to miss my first class. YIPPEE!!

I had no idea this was coming. I had a crappy night's sleep, got up at 4am, moved to the sofa and had another hour or so of fitful sleep. Finally got up and let the dog out. I heard a loud thump on the porch followed the the shuffling scrapes of his paws against the wood. I thought maybe he was scrambling after a cat or something. I looked out to see him standing there, looking a bit bewildered down at the porch and steps. Covered with ice. He had fallen and scrambled back up and was now wondering what the heck he was supposed to do to navigate this stuff.

I called him back in and suited up for a walk. It was raining and 24 degrees out. The back deck was covered with a sheet of ice, and the sidewalks glistened with it. We had to walk on people's lawns and on the terraces to keep from falling over! Poor Scrappy did a funky dog shuffle several times when he ventured off the grass and onto the sidewalk. Good thing he's young and limber!

It should clear up by noon, as the temperature rises. So, not a complete snow day for me, but something is better than nothing. I've so far spent a solid hour writing--in my journal, on a piece I'm working on for possible publication, and now on this. Two cups of coffee and a banana muffin, and I'd say it's starting out to be a pretty darn good day!

***

Later day update: No school all day! Double yippee! Counting on the rain and freezing temeratures to continue on through tomorrow...please...although, of course, keep all travelers safe, but CLOSE THE SCHOOLS!

No comments: