Monday, March 08, 2010

TC in My Veins

I just got back from a very short weekend trip to Traverse City to visit the 'rents. I was only there for two mornings, but for each one, I got up and went for an hour-long walk with the dog down to the bay, then back around through downtown.

I love walking TC year round. Having grown up there, and going back to visit, "off season" is my favorite time of year. It truly takes a 'native' of any area to be able to see the beauty in a place in its off season. The bay wasn't frozen over, but there was still a lot of ice along the sand - creating a cool icy sand cliff all along the shore line.

And even though the water was colder than cold, I stuck my hand in it each day, just to touch it, to feel it. I suppose once you consider yourself 'from' a certain place, you always have a special connection with it. And who, if they are from Traverse City, doesn't have a special connection with the bay - enough to make us walk to it in the dead middle of winter and stick our hands in the water. If we can get through the ice, that is.

1 comment:

Liz said...

This is a very nice post. I love going to TC, I don't get to go too often anymore, I've never seen these places you refer to. I only get to go for ice cream shows, and a winery or two.

I love what you said about going back and putting your hand in the water time and time again. Except, where I'm from, I never want to put my hand into Lake Erie.

Great pics! I'm glad you had a nice time!