Monday, March 07, 2005

Back Just in Time

"Other Words" - the first annual conference of the Florida Literary Arts Council (yes, FLAC) - was a tremendous experience. It was exhilarating and humbling, as any good intellectual venture should be (IMHO).

I was able to meet many individuals whom I had only known by name via the web before, but knew them nonetheless. I was able to re-meet some folks I had initially met in Chicago at last year's AWP - but what a zoo that is, and how can anyone remember anyone except to meet them again. And I met new people - how else could our paths have ever crossed had it not been for this event? Now, I consider it a lucky thing, though they may think otherwise!

The greatest experience for me was the afternoon keynote speakers, whose works I hope will be posted very soon on NewPages web site (I will link ASAP). While keynotes generally bore me to doodles, these were amazing. The ideas, the concepts, the thought processes and the visions that were portrayed through these words opened my very heart and soul to a new light, and helped some of those floundering thoughts that have been swimming alone on their own come to a strong sense of connectivity. It really was revelatory for me, and set the tone for the whole weekend.

The sessions I attended were packed, which is good, and I was able to share in exchanges and garner new ideas from the topics. The sessions we gave were well-enough attended, and I learned a great deal in a short period about how to be a better panel member, and how to better prepare for the unexpected. I felt it was a good experience all the way around, but I know when/if I were to do it again, I could and would expect myself to do better.

On the plane ride home last night, after 12 hours in transit, thinking back over the weekend and forward to the reality of my day-to-day teaching job ahead, I felt a twinge of excitement. I was honestly looking forward to going back into the classroom. There was nothing in particular over the weekend that related directly to what I was currently doing in class, and that may be why, suddenly, I felt a charge - a kind of renewal, intellectually, personally, spiritually - I felt recharged, having spent four days doing anything but teaching undergraduate composition students, and, honestly, it felt great. I ventured out, I feed another part of myself that needed the attention, and as a result, felt I was coming back with a renewed interest in my work. Wow. Now that's one I didn't count on coming over me!

And today, I am exhausted. After four days of walking for miles every day, back and forth, sitting in the warm sunshine, talking with other book lovers, writers, teachers and students, listening to speakers and poets, dinner conversation over many glasses of beer and wine until 3am - because, as Casey said, "You can sleep later" - I feel we have returned just in time to capture this experience, to take it forward in our own lives and to build on it. That's my plan anyway. Right after I take a nap...

No comments: